Welcome Gay Bowl XII
Gay Bowl XII, the annual flag-football championship tournament of the National Gay Flag Football League, is coming to the Mile High City for the first time September 21 – 23, 2012! The Denver Gay Bowl is expected to be the largest Gay Bowl to date, drawing as many as 40 teams with as many as 600 players (and their many supporters) from cities across the U.S. and Canada. Participating will be former NCAA athletes and even former NFL players. In a colossal first, we are proud that Denver will feature the tournament’s first ever women’s division!
We are designing Gay Bowl XII to reflect the success that we have generated through our local league, the Denver Gay & Lesbian Flag Football League (DGLFFL). Since its founding in 2008, the DGLFFL has become one of the largest gay flag football leagues in North America – 16 teams and 240 people strong (both LGBT and straight) – and, more importantly, the only one that is fully and almost evenly co-ed on the field. Denver has demonstrated how a thriving local gay flag football league can build more meaningful connections within a local community, boost community esteem, and upend tired notions about what it means to be LGBT.
Our local league provides an opportunity that many participants never realized in high school or college -- to compete in sports and be out at the same time. While some players are experienced athletes, many are people who have never touched a football before in their lives. Our approach with Gay Bowl XII will be similar to the DGLFFL; emphasizing camaraderie, friendship and community building through healthy athletic competition. It is this incredible passion, energy and enthusiasm fostered through our local league that will contribute largely to the Denver Gay Bowl’s success. At Gay Bowl XII, the rest of the nation will see the results of how Denver fosters our “community building community” theme firsthand.
COME TO THE DENVER GAY BOWL and experience one of the most exciting, spectator-friendly events in gay sports -- because you haven’t seen anything in gay sports until you’ve seen top-level Gay Bowl play!
Gay Bowl XII Organizing Committee & Coordinators
- Joe Cooper – Committee Co-Chair
- Mollie Lehman – Committee Co-Chair
- Anthony Aragon – Hospitality Director
- Lou Bardach –Marketing Director
- Jeff Brasel – Registration Director
- Namon Huddleston – Logistics Director
- Becky Lee – Women’s Division Director
- Andy McCallin – Sponsorship Director
- Chris Seahorn – Internet Services Director
- Tony R. Smith – Event Business Director
- Brian Bartlett – Events Coordinator
- Jamie Ho – Administrative Coordinator
- Mark Ishaug – Signage Coordinator
- Joseph Buzas – Volunteer Coordinator
- Peter DeCamillis – Sponsorship Coordinator
- Patrick Oakes – Sponsorship Coordinator